Cantonese Style Chicken Porridge


Well, as the weather turned to cold my son fell ill and he always wanted and asks for me to cook him his favourite chicken porridge which is cantonese style....it had originated from my mum and she had taught me how to cook it as she used to make it when I was younger and whenever I fall sick ...she would give me some chicken porridge and chicken soup to make me feel better......it always does the trick and makes my cold go away and I could recover faster.....there is something about the nutrients in the chicken ...as they always say mothers knows best about food for your cold.....and chicken porridge is one of them which works for my family......we love it when it is serve warm with some soya sauce and fresh chopped green onions and cilantro with it....In North America , it is called chicken congee but in my hometown we simply call it chicken porridge.....


Cantonese Style Chicken Porridge
Ingredients :

1 2 lb free range organic chicken -cleaned and cut into smaller pieces
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups rice - washed & drained
2 tbsps light soya sauce
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups water
5 pieces chinese mushrooms - soaked in warm water & then sliced thinly
2 inch piece ginger - peeled and cut into 2 pcs
To garnish :  green onions - chopped
                   some cilantro leaves

Method :
Marinade the chicken pieces with the salt and black pepper and set aside in the fridge for at least 6 hours. Heat a large Dutch oven pot and add the water ,rice,ginger,mushrooms and chicken pieces to a boil. Stir well and then lower the heat to simmer for about 45 minutes till the porridge has thickens and cooked. Add some soya sauce to taste and then serve warm with some chopped green onions and cilantro leaves.


                                Cantonese Style Chicken Porridge