Bak Kut Teh (Pork Ribs Tea)

When I was still living in Canada , during the cold winter months I would boil a pot of this pork ribs stew for my family. Bak Kut Teh in Hokkien or Fujian dialect means pork ribs tea and it is usually cooked with some Chinese herbs such as yu zhu , dang shen , star anise , cinnamon stick , chuan xiong and goji berries.
One of my best friend  had gone to eat  Bak Kut Teh with me recently and I was inspired by the restaurant to cook some at home using some Chinese herbs from my pantry. 
As it was kind of a rainy day  today , so I made some homemade Bak Kut Teh for my family to keep them warm and ward of any cold or flu as the pandemic of Covid 19 is spreading around the world. 

Bak Kut Teh (Pork Ribs Tea) 
Ingredients : - 

600 gms  pork ribs - cut into 1 inch  pieces - marinate with 1 tsp salt  and 1 tsp black pepper  
4 pcs Dang Shen - cut into 2 inch  pieces 
6 pcs Yu zhu 
6 pcs star anise 
2 cinnamon sticks  - 1 inch in length 
5 pcs Chuan Xiong 
100 gms Goji berries 
5 pcs  dried Chinejise mushrooms - soaked in warm water 
2 bulbs of garlic - separated into small cloves 
12 pieces tofu puffs - cut into halves 
5 stalks green onions 
2 tbsps dark soya sauce 
1 tbsp light soya sauce 
1 tsp salt 
1  pc  rock sugar



Method : - 
Bring water in a large pot to boil , then add all the Chinese herbs , garlic cloves , cinnamon sticks, star anise, mushrooms  and pork ribs . Add all the seasonings including dark soya sauce , light soya sauce , black pepper, rock sugar  and salt to taste. When the water comes to a boil, lower the heat to low and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours . 
Add the tofu puffs  when it is 1/2 hour before the stew is ready and stir well. 
Serve it hot with some chopped green onions on top of it with some cooked brown rice.